Western Song: Wayward Wind
The Wayward Wind is a country song about a sad story of a woman who falls for a man who is not ready to settle down. The narrator of the song tells of their meeting and a broken promise. And the woman finally accepts that the man is a person who’ll never stay put, even for love.
Wayward Wind Hit Recordings
- Versions of the song were recorded by American pop singer Gogi Grant, American country music singer and actor Tex Ritter, and English singer Jimmy Young in 1956. Among these artists, the version of Grant was the biggest seller in the United States and Ritter’s version was in the United Kingdom. With all the combined recorded versions, the song reached No. 1 on the Cash Box chart while Grant’s version reached No. 1 on the Billboard chart on its own. Billboard ranked it as the No. 5 song for 1956 and became a Gold record.
- Grants recording was reissued and reached Billboard No. 50 and Cash Box No. 78 in 1961. American singer Patsy Cline, also recorded the song in the same year.
- In 1963, Frank Ifield recorded his version of the song which reached No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart for three weeks duration.
- The version of Irish flautist James Galway with American country singer Sylvia on vocals made it in the Billboard country chart. In 1982, the single produced by Bill Pursell in Nashville was released and in 1983, the song rose to No. 57.
Popular Cover Versions
Some of the notable cover versions of the song are recorded by the following artists:
- Gene Vincent with the Blue Caps
- Gogi Grant
- Tex Ritter
- Jimmy Young
- Frank Ifield
- James Galway featuring Sylvia
- Neil Young
Listen (Gogi Grant Version)
The Wayward Wind Lyrics
The wayward wind is a restless wind A restless wind that yearns to wander And he was born the next of kin The next of kin to the wayward wind In a lonely shack by a railroad track He spent his younger days And I guess the sound of the outward-bound Made him a slave to his wand'rin' ways And the wayward wind is a restless wind A restless wind that yearns to wander And he was born the next of kin The next of kin to the wayward wind Oh, I met him there in a border town He vowed we'd never part Though he tried his best to settle down I'm now alone with a broken heart And the wayward wind is a restless wind A restless wind that yearns to wander And he was born the next of kin The next of kin to the wayward wind The next of kin to the wayward wind